Sunday, June 10, 2012

We Made It

I'm in California. It sure feels like we climbed a mountain, really really fast, in one day, to get here.

Right now I'm sitting with a cup of coffee in my parents' family room as the sun starts to peek out from the morning clouds. Waverly is down for her morning nap and my mom's gone to pick up Cobie from boarding.

Yesterday was the most epically crazy day of all time, quite possibly.

We find out at 9:30 that our flight at 2 has been cancelled. So you'd think if you're going to be rescheduled it's going to be on a later flight, right? Well, no. We got rebooked on a 1:15, which meant we had to leave the house by 11 at the latest, and ohmyword, did we have to work really really really fast to finish cleaning and packing - and we left my poor dad with hurried instructions as to what needed to go in storage and what was supposed to go with him...it was insanity. I was also trying to coordinate with the landlords and their contact here as to when they'd pick up the keys to lock up.

Thank the Lord, everything worked out - my dad got everything taken care of at the house and is just hitting New Mexico. Mark was also rebooked to Michigan but arrived safely. Our flights to California were as good as can be expected when traveling with an almost 8 month old who doesn't want to sit down and is confined to the same teeny tiny area for 4+ hours straight. I am so glad I had my mom along to help entertain her and hold her when I needed a free hand. We got to Temecula around 7 (9pm Tennessee time) and thankfully Waverly went right to sleep in her new room (with her sheet from her crib back home which is helping her sleep I think ;).

SO. How do you thank someone for all that? Lots of margaritas? ;) I shall have to do something for my amazing family...they worked so hard and it sure wasn't much of a vacation, but I hope once my dad gets here we can all start to enjoy this awesome opportunity. Mom and baby and I are off to a good start - Panera for lunch is on the agenda today, then maybe some time poolside and a nap. It feels kinda funny to finally be here - after all this planning and talking. My car will be here and it's not just for a couple of days...I can go to the Farmer's Market every weekend and go to wine country and the beach...all good things to keep us occupied while Joshua is away.

I sure miss him though...he is busy over there in Afghanistan and the rest of his team is almost all there, so I'm glad for that. Waverly sure sounds like she's saying Daddy now - not just dada, lol - and it sure makes me wish he was here to do all the fun things we're going to be able to do too. BUT, we will look forward to doing that when he gets home; hopefully before Christmas.

Many things to be thankful for...many things to keep praying about.



No comments:

Post a Comment